Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Concept and simulation of robotized assembly application
University West, Department of Engineering Science, Division of Subtractive and Additive Manufacturing.
2018 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year)), 10 credits / 15 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Assa OEM is a manufacturer of locks and fittings for windows, doors and cabinets. To be more competitive, automating the production is an advantage. Assa assembles six different types of left and right reversible hinges. One product stands for 80 % of the assembly time on the line. For this product Assa wants to implement a robotized assembly solution in one of the three assembly stations. The remaining 20% still needs to be assembled manually. The aim of this study is to investigate three assembly stations, select one assembly station to automate, give three concepts at half-time of the project for the selected assembly station and simulate one final automated concept. The assembly line produces approximately 2000 reversible hinges each day. For the stations in the assembly line the cycle time is around 16 seconds. In the three assembly stations the assembly tasks are similar, it is the number of rivets or parts that differ. In assembly station three there is one additional task that is not included in the first two assembly stations. In this task the arm is lifted and turned 180 degrees, and then placed over three rivets. This is more complex for a robot to perform and will require more equipment. There are similarities between assembly station one and two and therefore concepts for both stations will be given. Three layout concepts are presented for the first assembly station and for the second assembly station one concept is presented. Also, two concepts of combining assembly station one and two are presented. On April 17th, 2018, a meeting at Assa was held to discuss the different concepts and layouts. The discussion led to the conclusion that a further investigation on implementing a robot will be carried out for the concept in assembly station two. The main result is that the cycle time of 16 seconds is difficult to accomplish. The path must be well planned to achieve this with a collaborative robot. To attain the cycle time the end-effector must be designed so that no tool change will be necessary. The rivet is small and therefore a gripper would have difficulty gripping the rivets. Therefore, other methods such as ferromagnetic or vacuum are recommended. The feeder system of the rivet is suggested to have a vibrating bowl feeder due to the orientation of the rivets. The frames’ feeder system needs to be designed for the purpose in assembly station two. The frame that is to be assembled on to the fixture exposes a risk for an operator if working beside the robot. To minimize the risk area from the frame, relocation of the frame feeder and planning the path differently is suggested. The layout will require safety equipment and the suitable safety equipment depends on the flexibility Assa requires.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2018. , p. 33
Keywords [en]
Assembly, Collaborative, Concept, Simulation
National Category
Robotics
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:hv:diva-12757Local ID: EXM810OAI: oai:DiVA.org:hv-12757DiVA, id: diva2:1232244
Subject / course
Robotics
Educational program
Robotteknik
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2018-07-26 Created: 2018-07-11 Last updated: 2018-07-26Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(2541 kB)1 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 2541 kBChecksum SHA-512
16c724e46408fe6481f71ecd28f2e57913d7c2ccb6a6dc974ce9294f7831094a5439e864b4d1cfa57f3d7225f1cd2c506169f7bda757ef02dd2693c68528ae56
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Division of Subtractive and Additive Manufacturing
Robotics

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 1 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 2 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf